Saturday 26 April 2008

3 mobile broadband bastards

It was inevitably too good to be true I guess. Mobile broadband for 5 gbp/month for up to 3meg, 1gig a month downloads. I knew I'd need to increase my allowance but they said they'd send a message when I was about to run out and I assumed I could instantly buy an add on, as I can for my mobile...

But no.

They did send messages, in they're wanky client program I never look at.

I ran out a while back. They charge extra use at 10p/meg and I'd used 270 meg. Oh yes.

You can increase your allowance. But it only takes place on the next monthly bill date. It's a different system you see?

For some reason the bill date is initially 7 days after you start using the service and monthly after that. I'm sure there's a very good reason for this but a downside for me was that I ran up a massive bill in the early days whilst trying to sus things out, lulled into a false sense of security by the first bill.

I know I'm an idiot, I should have guessed and not allowed myself to be confused. I shouldn't have missed the messages, I should have worked it all out.

BUT, it doesn't have to be complicated, confusing and opaque, so why is it? How much money to companies make from easily avoidable confusion and what can be done to stop it?

Who do I write to?

Bastards.

No comments: